Jobs In Horticulture, Inc
Home / Jobs
Job: Irrigation Work Leader, Presidio Trust, San Francisco, CA
Irrigation Work Leader
San Francisco, CA 94129 United States
The Presidio Trust is seeking an Irrigation Work Leader to join our Landscape Stewardship Grounds Team. Once an Army base, the Presidio is now a new kind of National Park. It has been designated a National Historic Landmark District, in part because of its beautiful historic landscapes. The Presidio Trust Grounds Team maintains over 180 acres of property around residences, commercial buildings, and public common areas. In addition to lawns and ornamental plantings, the managed landscapes include 3 ball fields, 10 playgrounds, 1 pet cemetery, the only campground in San Francisco, and the beloved Main Parade Ground. The Team helps maintain the balance between native and cultural plantings in the Park, and are instrumental in ensuring our volunteers are prepared to help perform basic grounds maintenance.
Our Grounds Team is often our first, and perhaps only, point of contact with the public. So in addition to experience and skills in turf management and ornamental landscape maintenance, the ideal candidate will be a leader and ambassador, modeling and encouraging the crew to interact and answer questions with knowledge, warmth, and friendliness, so that each visitor, volunteer, and resident has a positive impression of the Presidio Trust. You are meticulous about the safety of your co-workers, visitors, volunteers, residents, and yourself.
This is a full-time position with benefits and a minimum salary of $28.97/hour. Applications received by November 27th, 2017 will receive first consideration. We will hold the first round of interviews beginning the first week of December, make a job offer by mid to late December, and set a work start date in January.
- Coordinate work with supervisor, and plan and assign duties to irrigation specialists and workers.
- Work with Landscape Stewardship supervisors, work leaders and other Presidio Trust staff in diagnosing and troubleshooting irrigation-related problems.
- Work from project plans prepared by landscape architects; collaborate with landscape architects and other staff, making recommendations for appropriate irrigation installation and maintenance with a sensitivity towards long-term environmental sustainability.
- Collaborate with other Trust Departments in assessing and recommending agency irrigation plans.
- Perform plan reviews and make revisions on proposed irrigation designs to ensure that they meet Department standards. Coordinate with project managers on inspection of new irrigation installations and prepare irrigation punch lists.
- Lead irrigation crew in operating trenchers, tractors and other equipment and tools used for the installation and repair of irrigation systems; and in excavating soil using hand tools.
- Inspect and monitor landscape areas for irrigation problems, water management and conservation. Perform or oversee annual tests on all irrigation systems prior to the dry season and work with landscape personnel to make adjustments and repairs as needed. Train personnel as necessary.
- Install, troubleshoot, and repair irrigation controllers, valves, central system equipment and other irrigation equipment and components.
- Program and operate controllers manually and using central control computer and hand held communication devices. Utilize central system computer for information on system performance, problems and for generating irrigation reports.
- May perform or oversee minor design of irrigation systems.
- Oversee the maintenance of work records including daily work reports. Communicate with supervisor on needed materials and supplies; report to supervisor on the status/progress of work.
- Participate in meetings and events related to the Trust volunteer program.
- Respond as appropriate to requests, questions, comments and concerns from public, residents, tenants and Presidio staff using the principals of good communication and customer service.
- Required to stand and frequently required to walk, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Occasionally required to sit, use hands to handle or feel, climb or balance. Must regularly lift and move up to 25 pounds, and frequently lift and move up to 50 pounds.
- Regularly exposed to outside weather and regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. Occasionally exposed to wet and humid conditions and vibration. The noise level in the work environment may be loud.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) AND two years of experience working in landscape irrigation installation, maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of methods, practices, tools, materials and equipment used for installing, operating and maintaining irrigation systems; basic irrigation design principles; and water requirements for various soil types, turf, grass, trees, and plants.
- Ability to safely lead and perform work, and to establish and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers and other employees. Ability to share information, objectives, techniques and work methods with employees.
- Ability to identify the needs, materials, and other resources required to meet established standards.
- Ability to operate a computer and software used in operating irrigation controllers, as well as a variety of equipment and tools used in irrigation installation, maintenance and repair.
- Ability to perform minor irrigation system design, and to diagnose and repair irrigation systems.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications, documents, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively with customers and employees, demonstrating exceptional customer service.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry, calculate figures and amounts, and apply common sense to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Required to wear a Presidio Trust uniform and personal protective equipment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid California Class C Driver License.
- Excellent judgement.
- Experience interacting positively with the public, volunteers, and fellow colleagues.
- Passion for working at the Presidio.
ABOUT GARDENING AT THE PRESIDIO
The Presidio is rich in formal, ceremonial landscapes and historic neighborhood landscapes. Historic gates and tree-lined boulevards create a deep sense of place. The Main Parade Ground strengthens the dramatic setting of the Main Post and establishes it as the heart of the park. The Presidio’s historic neighborhood landscapes represent a century in the evolution of military social and domestic life, from the small-scale Civil War-era Funston Avenue with its quaint Victorians and grander Queen Anne’s to the enlisted men’s housing above Baker Beach that was built in the 1950s and ‘70s. Rare ornamental plantings have been saved and historic gardens have been recreated with a contemporary sensibility, often with drought-tolerant native plants.
Do you know someone who would be interested in this job?
Jobs In Horticulture, Inc.
P.O. Box 521731, Longwood, FL 32752-1731
Terms & Conditions
© 2010 Jobs in Horticulture, Inc.