Jobs In Horticulture, Inc
Home / Jobs
(this posting is now closed/inactive)
Pittsburgh, PA 15233 United States
Bidwell Training Center
As directed by the Director of Greenhouse Operations, oversees the successful development & implementation of production strategies and educational programming for the Drew Mathieson Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Essential duties and responsibilities include, and are not strictly limited to, the following:
Plant Production and Quality:
• Develops and submits to Director annual and weekly production reports.
• Oversees all production related technical operations including:
• Crop scheduling, availability and grading;
• Inspecting all greenhouse areas/crops at least twice daily; identifying moisture requirements, documenting the status of the plant product and possible challenges/issues;
• Monitoring EC and pH of clear water and fertigation water;
• Developing and maintaining an effective fertilization/plant nutrition program;
• Utilizing knowledge of temperature, soil moisture, variety response and PGR’s to make decisions regarding daily crop management so crops finish on time and meet DMC quality standards;
• Developing and maintaining an effective greenhouse Integrated Pest Management program including hands on applications of pesticides;
• Maintaining up to date pesticide application records and the chemical inventory.
• Oversees the Argus system and responds to critical incidents as necessary.
• Where appropriate, ensures the newest advancements in technology are applied to greenhouse operations.
• Promptly responds to general inquiries related to plant health and care.
• Oversees the process for order fulfillment including:
• Designating and marking products to be set aside for fulfillment of orders which have been placed well in advance of a delivery date;
• Selecting the products indicated on incoming pick tickets for packing and delivery to customers;
• Performing pre-delivery inspection of products;
• Preparing products for packaging and delivery.
Greenhouse Technician Supervision:
• Oversees the day to day production related activities of the greenhouse. Supervises technicians’ job performance to ensure attainment of daily, weekly and monthly production goals.
• Ensures technicians are properly trained to safely perform all job responsibilities.
• Ensures each technician who has earned a PA Commercial Pesticide Applicator License completes the necessary continuing education to maintain the license in good standing.
• Provides prompt feedback to Director regarding technician performance issues.
Education Related Activities:
• As directed, develops educational programming and curricula for school partnerships and other community collaborations.
• As directed, collaborates with the Director of the Horticulture Technology Training Program to provide opportunities for applied learning within the greenhouse production schedule.
• Provides mentoring and direct instruction to youth and adult student populations within the greenhouse facility and the expanded classroom.
• Performs a weekly greenhouse walk-thru with the Sales Representative to coordinate production and sales forecasts/goals and product distribution.
• Efficiently orders products and supplies. Ensures that purchase orders, invoices, check requests and related paperwork are submitted in a timely fashion.
• In collaboration with Director, develops and enforces internal controls/procedures to protect each inventory item from theft or damage.
• Performs weekly inventory counts.
• Utilizes the inventory software to update all necessary information daily.
• Prepares the month end waste report and submits to the Finance department.
• Prepares cost for each inventory item (pots, soil, tags, etc.) before it is sold.
• Compares inventory numbers with the bi-annual Finance count.
• Ensures compliance with operational standards, company policies, and federal, state and local laws and ordinances.
• Ensures that a professional image is maintained throughout greenhouse operations, including the cleanliness of all facilities, adherence to dress code requirements, and employee appearance standards.
• Upholds OSHA and security standards at all times.
• Other duties may be assigned.
Supervises the Greenhouse Technicians in their performance of daily production activities.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture or similar academic concentration; previous experience in a closely related position; strong working knowledge of all phases of horticulture, floriculture and greenhouse technology required, (Degree must be from an accredited institution recognized by the US Department of Education), Experience in a commercial greenhouse preferred. Also, must have a valid U.S. driver’s license, an insurable driving record and a current PA Commercial Pesticide Applicator License.
Jobs In Horticulture, Inc.
P.O. Box 521731, Longwood, FL 32752-1731
Terms & Conditions
© 2010 Jobs in Horticulture, Inc.